This week was the push to creating brand new product packaging for my garden kits which you can see over on my shop page. The main goals for my packaging were as follows:
Look more put together/on brand
While packaging will be a work in progress I feel like I’m at a good starting point. I have some ideas of what I can do to improve it already and will work on implementing those ideas as time goes on. I will start this post by showing you what my packaging used to look like years ago, what I did and did not like about it.
Let’s start with likes:
It showcased the product well
It made identifying what was in there visible, but not clear
It was already in a gift box which made it easy to give as gifts.
Relatively easy assembly
Now onto dislikes:
It wasn’t clear what the product was - there was no labeling or identifying marks
Not retail friendly or presentable as a retail item
Not properly fitted - extra room
Used too much plastic
Above I listed my goals when considering designing new packaging and here is how I did it.
Keeping waste down.
This meant reducing plastics and unnecessary items. While this is currently a work in progress the bags will soon all be switched over to compostable bags. The complete kits with jars also required bubble wrap to keep things intact when shipping. There was also the concern of painting the jars and what paint does to the environment that kept bugging me. So I decided to nix the idea all together. If I get rid of the jars I get rid of the paint, get rid of the bubble wrap, reduce shipping costs/lower emissions, and reduce space in transit.
Multipurpose packaging that showed identified from the outside what was inside
My previous version complete garden kits (with painted mason jars included) ended up on retail shelves, which was an honor. But it wasn’t easy to explain what it was in the old packaging. It then required education and explanation from the store owner if people had questions. Plus, the packaging had no identifying marks to explain what it was. While it looked nice there was no real function. So to fix that the packaging needed to state exactly what it was. A garden supplies kit. I also wanted to to have the directions printed directly on it so it would reduce my cost with ordering separate direction cards. The key here is to have good form and function. A clean, simple design.
Looked like it belonged to the other items in my shop / branding
While the previous packaging looked nice it didn’t look like it really belonged to anything. It was simply a bag or a gift box. Going forward my plan was to have it go together with what my brand was about. Nature focused, clean, minimal, earth-toned products. Now when things are laid out it looks like a well thought out story and not something sourced for budget sake.